Thursday, May 13, 2010

Conversations with a 4 Year Old

I have had two "meaningful" conversations with the 4 year old this week so far.

Exhibit A: (While his brother and I were coloring Pluto and Goofy respectively)
T- "Who is that?"
N- "That's Pluto...Mickey's dog."
T- "Who is that?"
N- "That's Goofy...Mickey's friend."
T- "Why does he have clothes?"
N- "Because he's Mickey's friend."
T- "Does he walk?"
N- "Yes, he does."
T- "Why doesn't he wear clothes and walk?"
N- "Because he's Mickey's pet."
T- "Why?
N- "You know...no one has any idea to be honest..."
T- "Why?"
N- "Because that's how Walt Disney wanted them to be...if you meet him in Heaven, you can ask him."
T- [Confused silence]

Exhibit B: (While his brother was off running around)
T- "Can G hear me?"
N- "I don't know if he can hear you."
T- "Why?"
N- [Being a smart alec] "Because I'm not inside his head..."
T- "Why?"
N- "Why what?"
T- "Why are you not inside his head?"
N- [Regretting my last comment] "Umm....let's see how fast we can finish this puzzle!"

I REALLY need to figure out a better way to handle these constant "why" questions because apparently incredibly curious 4 year olds don't understand sarcasm! ;)

However, despite these conversations with him, he is full of surprises. The other day I told him thank you and he said, "My pleasure," and then went on to tell me that his dad says you can either say "you're welcome" or "my pleasure" and they mean the same thing. He also always says great. "How was your nap?" "Great." "How was your lunch?" "Great." "Nichole, you're doing such a great job cutting that out!" "That [pathetic attempt at a dinosaur] looks great! You are great at drawing dinosaurs!" It is so funny, but I love it! Nothing is ever just good, it is always great! The best moment, however, has to be on Tuesday when I did something for him. I always call people "ma'am" and "sir"...just for fun. I did it in my kindergarten class, I do it in text messages, it's just something I do...so he and I have started to do it. The other day I can't remember what I did....probably brought him a drink of water or something and he said, "Thanks ma' lady." It was soooo funny! I didn't catch it at first and then I turned to look back at him thinking, "Did he REALLY just say that?" His mom said she's never heard him say that either...it was HILARIOUS and so dang cute! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment