Friday, February 4, 2011

Wow.

So it has almost been a full week of teaching (tomorrow will complete that week...) and I feel completely inadequate! I do NOT know what I'm doing! It's getting better each day though, so hopefully when I've been teaching for like 5 years, I'll feel at least satisfied with my performance.

My kids are absolute angels...and there's only 16 of them, which is a huge plus. They all know that it is my very first teaching job and pretty much all of their parents told them that they need to help me a lot because I'm nervous about this new class as much as they are. Honestly, every time I need someone to do something for me, they will all jump out of their chairs raising their hands as high as they can go. If I ask someone to turn off the lights, you can bet there will be a stampede towards the light switch. I need to stop asking for "someone" because someone is going to end up with a black eye one of these days.

So today, they were all writing about snowmen. Each of their snowmen had to go on an adventure. One little boy wrote this, (or something close to it...) "Once upon a time, there was a snowman that went to Hawaii. He went surfing and ate ice cream all day. Then he kissed his girlfriend. On the lips." He was at his desk giggling while everyone else took turns reading their stories to me to make sure they were acceptable (because they were writing one liners and calling it good!) He brought his up to me and he asked me to read it. So I start reading it semi-aloud and when I got to the kissing part, my kids start CRACKING UP. Seriously...like rolling on the floor! You forget how funny kissing is to little kids. They laughed for like 5 minutes straight and I laughed with them :) Probably the best moment of the week.

The job is getting less and less stressful, but I am still stressed to the max, which explains how stressed I was Sunday night and Monday. Part of my stress is because my classroom is a DISASTER. I don't have a teacher desk yet, so my stuff is absolutely everywhere and it's driving me NUTS! I mean, if I had a desk, it would just be in piles on my desk, but at least it would be in a central location and not on every counter space, table, and floor space I have!

Anyway, I have to get going...the kids and I have P.E. tomorrow...which should definitely be interesting! Ha! TOMORROW IS FRIDAY! And then I get to cut lamination out ALL WEEKEND. Seriously...I have like 100+ pages of lamination to cut out. Anyone feel like bringing their scissors over for a party? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment